😀Morgan Carter Burns Phone: (207) 705-7279 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Biotechnology graduate with deep experience in sci-tech publishing, editorial systems, informatics and statistical analysis, website development, and electronic document management.
To be part of the transition of scientific publishing from print to digital, particularly to explore and shape the new nature of “journals” as they compete editorially to serve their readers in rapidly changing research areas, and compete economically to win subscribers with changing financial models.
2010 April – 2012 March: Editorial Coordinator and Assistant Analyst at Non Profit Publisher
I was responsible for quality control of manuscript submissions, and acted as a liaison for authors, reviewers, and editors. In addition to my editorial duties I supported the publisher and editorial directors on special projects including the analysis of competing journal strategies and other statistical tasks.
- I updated print publication dates and online first dates for the six journals published in print by the publisher, and merged duplicate user accounts.
- Monitored editorial scope and circulation of competing journals using industry metrics.
- Assisted the Epub group with supplementary data, to compose the news site for a new journal.
- Helped the directors with senior editor hiring, researching candidate’s professional characteristics such as affiliation, recent publications, and other activities.
- Assisted the editorial director in meetings and conference calls by tabulating website usage and citation statistics for the journal.
- Compiled a taxonomy of terms for keywords used in company journals.
- Compiled and analyzed impact factors and other relevant information pertaining to journal competitors, using a number of resources.
- Used network service and our own submission software on a daily basis to coordinate the submissions.
2009 December – 2010 April: Administrative Support at Staffing Agency
In my administrative support role I worked for a Non Profit Publisher in the Publications Department performing data entry tasks. After three months I was recruited to join the publishing company full time.
2008 May – 2009 October: Document Specialist at Document Services Company
As a document specialist I built data deliverables, managed quality control of data and prepared presentations of legal material to be used in litigation. I met with clients at multiple law firms to develop solutions for their needs in the court room with regard to presentation of evidence, including:
- Presentations and special graphic projects.
- Advanced electronic documents.
- I was heavily involved in processing documents from paper to electronic formats.
- Managed electronic documents from discovery to storage, to blowback.
2008 January – 2008 May: Webmaster at Puzzle Website
I worked at an interactive educational and entertainment website with a focus on logic and puzzles. In addition to the following, I optimized search performance and initiated a social marketing campaign:
- Increased website traffic 1,000%.
- Managed a presence in online forums and chat rooms, presenting it as fun and interactive.
- Managed the website using a database and responded to questions from users via email.
- Continue to advise the website on technical and marketing issues.
2007 June – 2008 February Lab Manager at University Medical School
As a lab manager I organized purchasing and expenses within the lab and assisted the Principle Investigator with administrative tasks, including:
- Prepared and edited scientific manuscripts prior to publication.
- Managed the lab’s weekly meetings and a monthly seminar series.
- Kept financial records for all lab budgets and expenses.
- Engaged in and managed a Material Transfer Agreement between the Federal Government and the University’s Technology Transfer Office.
2007 July – 2007 December Lab Manager at Small Immuno-Biological Products Company
As the lab manager for this company I was responsible for conducting scientific research and acquiring funding, purchasing, and managing the budget. While there my responsibilities included:
- Managed relations with researchers and collaborators.
- Worked with the accounting office to manage payroll and billing.
2002 August – 2007 July Bakery, Farm, Food Coop
During the five year period following graduation from college, I worked for a number of companies with numerous responsibilities including:
- Inventory and customer service at a bakery.
- Production management on an organic farm.
- Assistant produce buyer for a food coop.
2000 May – 2002 August Lab Assistant/Graduate Student at University
While attending Graduate School I worked on scientific research projects at the University. I left the program before completing my graduate degree. My responsibilities included:
- Designing experiments and analyzing data with my adviser.
- Presenting data once a month at regular lab meetings.
- Performing literature searches and discussions.
Education & Experience
- NASA Space Camp for one week Orlando, Florida 1990.
- Outdoor Leadership Program for three months in South America, 1997.
- Bachelor of Science, Biochemical Sciences, 2001.
- Co-applicant of Patent on innovative device for detecting disease from saliva, pending. 2010.
- Crowdmind.xyz 2020
- Morgancburns.com WordPress 2018 to present
- Theroundthing.com Drupal 2013-2015
- Luminogenics.com Drupal 2009-2012
- Noggintwisters.com Dreamweaver 2007-2008
- Playsets IOS 2013
- The Round Thing Android 2013